The Governing Body
School governors are drawn from different parts of the community and can be parents, staff or from the community. This helps ensure the governing body has sufficient diversity of views and experience but does not mean governors of a particular category represent that group on the governing body. For example, parent governors do not represent the parents at the school and do not report back to them.
The governing body has a range of duties and powers and a general responsibility for the conduct of the school with a view to promoting high standards of educational achievement. Its responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- setting targets for pupil achievement
- managing the school's finances
- making sure the curriculum is balanced and broadly based
- appointing staff
- reviewing staff performance and pay.
The governing body has considerable discretion as to how to discharge its responsibilities but is required to constitute itself in line with the regulations and to appoint a chair and vice chair. The governing body may delegate certain of its responsibilities to certain governors or committees of governors, although in general, it is not compelled to do so.
Roles and Actions
There are a range of roles and actions the governing body or individual governors need to consider:
- Constitution of the governing body – the governing body must be constituted in line with the School Governance (Constitution) (England) Regulations 2003. These regulations cover the number and type (category) of governors that make up the governing body.
- Terms of reference of the governing body – more information can be found on this website about the different categories, roles and committees that can be involved with being a governor. In brief, the different categories are:
- Parent Governors: selected by election (or appointment if insufficient people stand for election) and drawn from parents and carers of the children at the school
- Staff Governors: selected by election from teaching and support staff paid to work at the school
- Co-opted Governors: appointed by the governing body to represent community interests
- Local Authority Governors: appointed by the local authority
To see information regarding the Governing Body, please click here.
Parent Governor Nomination Form
Click here to access the nomination form.